Malaysian creates portraits from coffee stains


HONG YI, 26, an architect from Sabah with the nick name of Red Hong, has taken 12 hours to complete painting a portrait of Taiwanese singer Jay Chou using coffee cup stains. She had previously received unexpected fame on the YouTube when she used a basketball to paint a portrait of Yao Ming.

She uploaded her latest undertaking online on Feb 15 (youtube.com/ohiseeRED) and it garnered over 2,000 hits just hours after it was uploaded. By 9pm Malaysia time today (Feb 22) within a week, there have been 159,738 visitors.




Red Hong admitted that she initially had butterflies in her stomach to work on another piece of art following her last success.

“When I received a lot of sudden attention, I became nervous. I have learned that the only person I should satisfy is myself and God,” she told Durie Rainer Fong, of The Star in an interview.

“I delayed this project because it took a bit of trial and error and I was only able to paint on weekends, as I have a full-time job,” said Hong, who works for an Australian firm in Shanghai.

She said Chou’s portrait took longer to finish as the medium she used was more challenging.

“Too much water and the rings would not form easily, and I had to be precise with placing the cup,” she said.



Hong was inspired to paint Chou, who also starred in Hollywood’s re-make of The Green Hornet, from the opening of his song Secret.

“The opening sentence was about lifting a coffee cup off the saucer, which is why I have chosen to use coffee cup stains as the main tool in this portrait,” she said.




“I’m constantly inspired by things I see, smell, touch and feel.

“Art is my outlet and it allows me to fully express who I am”, she said, adding that a bigger project was in the offing.

“It may not be a portrait, but it will be a very interesting piece,” Hong promised.

She is indeed an artist of great promise.







UPDATE:14 APRIL 2012

Portrait of Zhang with 750 pairs of socks









Shanghai: Shanghai-based artist, Hong Yi, paid tribute to Chinese film director Yimou Zhang in a unique fashion—by creating a large-scale monochromatic portrait of him with 750 pairs of socks.

Hong Yi is quite famous for her amazing works regarding portraits of renowned people made from different things.

She first got the idea of this peculiar art work when she stumbled across a little alleyway in Shanghai, filled with clotheslines made of bamboo sticks with various clothing items hanging above her. She was astonished to see such a traditional aspect of life in a modern city like Shanghai.

The unique art medium is also related to Yimou Zhang who uses bamboo sticks in his period films, as well as in the 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony he directed.

Hong Yi, also known as “Red”, has got fame on the internet for such projects. She has also made portraits of Yao Ming created with a basketball and Jay Chou by spilling coffee.

 

  1. Anonymous wedding dresses 2012 said,

    10:39 AM

    Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Every girl has her most beautiful moment in the life just when you wear your own wedding dresses in your wedding.You can visit our wedding dress shop.Cheap wedding dresses have good quality. You can find ball gown wedding dresses,mother of the bride dresses,mermaid wedding dresses,wedding dresses 2012,cocktail dresses,a line wedding dresses,plus size wedding dresses,column wedding dresses,beach wedding dresses,empire wedding dresses,tea length wedding dresses,bridesmaid dresses,evening dresses,prom dresses your dream. Get your wedding dress in our bridal shop. Finally,I hope you have a happy wedding.

  2. Blogger dress1 said,

    10:45 AM

    You are so great!!!!Your article is very interesting! Thank you for sharing. It's very attractive! And it offers me a lot of help. I'm looking forward to your next post! And welcome to wedding dresses online shop.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    7:29 PM

    I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do
    it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. many thanks

    Review my web site; Rolland Garros

  4. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    11:07 PM

    Hey this is kind of of οff topic but I was wanting to
    know іf blogs uѕe WYSIWYG editorѕ or if you have to manuаlly сode with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    my site :: paroi de douche

  5. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    8:18 AM

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about maquillage facile carnaval.
    Regards

  6. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    10:09 AM

    Ηi to еνery оne, the contents existіng аt this websitе are
    actuаlly amazіng fоr people experіence, ωell, keep up the nicе ωoгk fellows.


    My blоg :: disque ssd

  7. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    1:01 AM

    I have been bгowsing online more than 4 hours today,
    yеt Ӏ never founԁ any interеsting artіcle
    like уours. It is pretty woгth enough for me.

    Personally, if аll webmaѕters and bloggers made good
    cоntеnt as yоu ԁiԁ, the web will be much
    more uѕеful than eveг before.

    Visit mу wеbsite devis peinture

  8. Anonymous Anonymous said,

    5:16 AM

    What's up mates, its impressive piece of writing concerning teachingand entirely explained, keep it up all the time.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage: voyance Gratuite

8 Comments:

Post a Comment